Monday, March 7, 2016

Master Suite Remodel - Finished Closet

Last post was the bedroom post-remodel, so now we'll see a bit more of a change in the master closet. First, a refresher on what an ugly and terrible waste of space this closet was before:



And now for the much more beautiful and space-efficient after!

The contractors added crown molding for us in the closet so it looks fancy

They also finally reattached the bi-fold closet doors! These door knobs used to be on the bathroom vanity.

 I replaced the blinds with nice white faux wood ones.
My jewelry & nail polish nook

And here is the part that I spent the most time on by far! The contractors removed the partial walls that closed off the closet before, as well as the shelf and rod that were here. Figuring out the most efficient use of space was probably what took the longest since I had to pretty much catalog everything I own and decide how much space it would need. I wanted to reuse the shoe shelf I bought a few years ago (Billy bookcase from IKEA) so I wanted to keep everything else dark wood to match. In the end, I went with a Pax wardrobe from IKEA as the center anchoring point and cut-to-fit shelves and expandable rods from ClosetMaid's SuiteSymphony line. I put together and installed everything myself, save for Nick cutting two of the shelves to size for me. I'm pretty proud of the outcome!

My favorite part is definitely the glass-front drawers that I am now keeping my hand-knit sweaters in. I kept these in boxes before because I had no good place to keep them, and now I get to see them every day and feel inspired to knit every time I'm in here! I made sure to get two so I'll have room to add to my collection. Up on the top left shelf are my boxes of yarn, which I'm also happy to be able to see every day, so I definitely have enough to keep me busy knitting for years.

I also went ahead and replaced all the plastic hangers I had before with new non-slip hangers that are super-thin so that there's plenty of space on all the rods for moving things around. I thought that would be a good way to keep track of how much I have as well -- whenever I find myself at the point where I'm about to run out of hangers, I know I need to get rid of some things.


Long hanging storage on the left, double short hanging on the right

I fit almost all of my shoes in the shoe shelf. I'm still working on paring down further

Pretty knits in my glass-front drawers!

The left side is all mine, and the right side (dresser + hanging storage behind the doors) is all Nick's. 

I really love the light fixture we got in here too!

I love the look of the Edison bulbs but they are terrible energy wasters. I found these LED lookalikes that are almost indistinguishable from the incandescent versions!

For a quick recap of what's been done and what we still want to do in here:
  • Paint walls Sherwin Williams White Mint
  • Replace carpet with tile floors - remodelers did this for us
  • Replace scrawny baseboards - remodelers did this for us
  • Replace ugly crown molding - remodelers did this for us
  • Replace light fixture - remodelers did this for us
  • Reattach bi-fold closet doors - remodelers did this for us
  • Replace ugly cheap blinds with wood or faux wood blinds
  • Find a good soft rug, maybe round
  • Hang the final shelf on the left side - this is just me being lazy really

No comments:

Post a Comment