Friday, October 18, 2013

We Have a Blue Kitchen!

It's not blue because it's sad; it's blue because it's happy because I finished painting it two weekends ago! I just wanted to set the record straight that it was early October that I finished it, which kind of beats my prediction of October in general that I made when I started painting in mid-August. I'll take my pats on the back now, thank you. I was going to wait to post about it until I took pictures with a real camera, but two weeks later and I still haven't taken those, so phone pictures it is!

It took me so long to do this because I only painted a couple of hours at a time. Since everything needed 2-3 coats and there was SO MUCH cutting in to do, it took much longer than it normally would for the same area. I knew this would be happening, so I went to my friend Google to find out how to save my brushes so I wouldn't have to rinse them twelve different times and dump all that paint down the drain. I found that wrapping them in Saran wrap and storing them in the fridge was the number one suggestion. It absolutely worked! At one point I had my brush in the fridge for over a week and when I took it out it was like I had just put it in; the paint was not dried out one bit. I will definitely use that trick again in the future.





We also hung these super cool totally awesome prints that I got for Nick for his birthday. See how totally awesome and super cool they are? They are vintage-inspired travel posters for Middle-earth destinations, made by Steve Thomas.



Up next in this area should be grouting, but let's be serious; that's not going to happen next. You can probably tell that I didn't do the best job of cutting in around the ceiling, and that's because we'll be adding crown molding in here at some point. But before that even happens, I got this harebrained idea that I want to add paneling on the vaulted ceiling in here, along the lines of this: here, here, here. So if I get my way, that will probably come before grouting.

I also have dark brown paint at the ready for the ceiling beam in the living room to make it look at least a tiny bit more like wood instead of like a big beige blob.

Paint color is Sherwin Williams Amalfi

No comments:

Post a Comment